TurboGears 1.0 released!

Jan 4, 2007 02:42 · 274 words · 2 minute read

On IRC today, I told a tale of version number mayhem. TurboGears 0.5 came out in September 2005. 0.8 came out in October 2005. In November 2005, I wrote an article right here about how open source projects shouldn’t be shy about releasing their 1.0 versions. The 0.9 alphas started just before PyCon in February 2006.

Between 0.8 and 0.9, TurboGears grew a lot of code and features. We needed to assimilate all of that. I should have likely called one of the 0.8 releases 1.0 and 0.9 would’ve been 1.1. But, instead, 1.0b1 came out in September 2006. That was a mistake, too… because 1.0b1 became the preferred, stable version of TurboGears. After all, quite a few people were using the 0.9 releases in production environments. 1.0b1 really should have been called 1.0.

Version numbers and “beta” designations do set up some expectations in people’s minds. However, I think that once you put a release out there and say “this is good enough to use for real work”, you’ve crossed a threshold and should go ahead and give the 1.0 label.

Without further ado, I’m pleased to announce the release of TurboGears 1.0. A whole bunch of fixes have made it in since the 1.0b2 release. (Unfortunately, I didn’t have a chance to update and clean up the changelog for this release because of the server problems, but Elvelind has offered to clean up the file.)

A big thank you to all of the folks who put forth the effort in fixing bugs, providing patches, committing patches, bringing the docs up to date, etc.

1.0 is not the end. It’s just the beginning.